Nick has extensive experience both acting for and prosecuting and taking enforcement action against regulated professionals. This includes criminal trials, disciplinary proceedings before regulators, inquests and employment/internal disciplinary investigations and hearings. He also provides advice and strategy with regard to regulatory compliance. For example, he represents:
- Both senior and rank and file police officers, when facing criminal trials for alleged fraud or corruption, police disciplinary proceedings or at Art 2 jury inquests where police conduct is called into question.
- Companies and company officers in relation to inquests, prosecutions for a wide range of offences from breach of health & safety and environmental legislation to corporate and gross negligent manslaughter and regulatory compliance in relation to cryptocurrency, sanctions etc.
- Financial Services professionals, such as accountants.
- Legal services professionals.
- R v P and Others - Nick acted for the company and its chief executive in a 6 week trial alleging gross negligent manslaughter and health and safety offences arising from a fatal crushing accident in an industrial baling machine.
- R v T and Others. 2013-4 – Leading counsel acting for a former detective constable, successful defence to an allegation of a large-scale conspiracy to defraud in a multi handed trial lasting 4 months. Alleged fraud spanned multiple business offering debt recovery, debt elimination and escort services in Spain and the UK.
- Re L Ltd – Ongoing. Nick acts for a UK company providing vehicle contracts in the Middle East, advising them on an ongoing basis as to corporate compliance issues.
- Re X Ltd & Y Inc. 2017-Ongoing – Working alongside US colleagues in advising a UK company and US parent company regarding EU and US sanctions over business activities on behalf of the Iranian government.
- R v A and Others 2019-Ongoing. Nick acts for a former solicitor charged with an extensive fraud targeting elderly members of the public to purchase worthless trusts with a view to protecting their assets from care home costs.
- Operation X - Nick is retained by the Specialist Fraud Division of the CPS as leading counsel for the prosecution in an alleged £75m landfill tax fraud perpetrated by organised crime groups who have infiltrated the UK waste disposal industry. This includes close liaison with the Environment Agency and enforcement action over many years.
- Re Company Y – Advising in relation to regulatory compliance in a number of jurisdictions, including the US, UK, Isle of Man, Malta, Russia/CIS, in relation to proposed trade in cryptocurrency and derivatives.